Monday, September 11, 2017

13 Questions With Allyson Fox - Southern Ontario Library Service

The librarianship.ca website has been running a series of librarian profiles called 13 Questions With ...

Here is the most recent one with Allyson Fox, Training Manager, Southern Ontario Library Service:
"Why a career in librarianship?
Working at the Law Society of Upper Canada was what led to me pursing a career as a librarian. I didn’t intentionally seek out a library job, but once I started working in the Great Library, I knew that I was where I was supposed to be. I loved spending my days in the library and watching and listening to the knowledgeable staff members, many of whom had been there for decades. They seemed to know everything there was to know about legal research. I liked the high-pressure environment as lawyers would rush in on very tight deadlines and the reference team would work together to get them the information they needed. My manager (Jeanette Bosschart) and the Executive Director (Janine Miller) encouraged me to apply to FIS [University of Toronto]. I pursued my Masters degree while continuing to work part time. Their support and belief in me is what allowed me to finish my Masters while continuing to work and gain the hands on front line experience that I have since applied to every role I’ve had (...)

How do you stay current in your field?
In my current role as Training Manager at SOLS, I develop and coordinate training opportunities for public library staff across southern Ontario. To do my job well, I need to keep on top of the evolving trends and issues impacting public libraries. One of the things I love most about my job is that I get to connect with people working in libraries of all sizes which allows me to stay current about the innovative and exciting things public libraries are doing to serve their communities."

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share Subscribe
posted by Michel-Adrien at 5:07 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home